Saturday, March 24, 2012

Reflection Essay #6 Friendship & Duty

This week in class has been a good week to think. In terms of friendships, I would have to say that I have a lot of Utility friendships. I consider myself to be a very social person and friends with a lot of different people so there is a lot of benefiting from each other in those relationships. My few close friends that I have would be Pleasure friendships. I only have a few people in my life that I am super close to and actually tell them things I don't tell anyone else. I love spending time with them and we always hang out on a regular basis. My boyfriend and I definitely have a relationship of Utility and Pleasure and almost Virtue. We are always worried about each other and want to be with each other with as much free time as we get. However, we have to think about ourselves when it comes to different things like growing up and homework.
When I was in highschool at my dance studio I was always the lead role under the main character. My best friend in high school was always the main lead. My junior year we were doing Peter Pan and I knew that was my chance to be the main character for once in my life. After we had auditioned the day came to find out parts. The dance teachers brought me in to tell me what part I had and they ended up making me decide between Captain Hook and Peter Pan. I was devasted when I wanted to be excited because they weren't giving me a part they were making me choose. They kept telling me that everyone loved what I did with the Scarecrow from the Wizard of Oz last year and that I would do a really good job at Captain Hook but they had heard that I really wanted Peter Pan and basically wanted me to decide what I wanted. My moral mind was telling me to pick Captain Hook because I knew that I could do a good job portraying it but my heart was telling me to take Peter Pan and run. That's what I decided in the end was Peter and during the show season I regreted it but when I look back I am so glad I picked it because I never would have gotten a main character part after that. There were so many time throughout that year I came home crying because I wasn't lead parts with any of my friends. I was on a separate night from them. But I made new friends with the girls who were on my night.
There was a time in highschool that I got into a huge fight with my mom about something. I was screaming at her that it woke up my little brother. The next day when she took my car and phone priveledges away from me I punched the wall in the staircase and hurt my hand but then my dad came up and gave me a little talking to. I have never really gone and beat someone up about  something but sometimes I do let me emotions get the best of me. I guess if I were a superhero it would be really hard for me to try and detatch my emotions from my goals because then everything would become so personal which is very dangerous in the super world.

3 comments:

  1. Im glad you finally got to be the main character. I always hated in choir beating out people for solos because my teacher would pick songs that she knew my voice would be good for. After a while, I just stopped auditioning because I knew it wasn't fair. I was happy that other people got their chances to shine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. An interesting take on the review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can relate to you in saying that I am a very sociable person as well and I feel like many people and myself benefit from my sociable experiences. I also have a few select friends who I only tell "guy gossip" to (ha ha) and those friends mean more to me then anyone else and we really do enjoy hanging out so I would say our friendship is based on pleasure as well. That is neat that you finally got the lead role, even though you had to choose from it. Its interesting how some things in life can make us reflect on our past and then we can see how it has changed us or made us view some things differently.

    ReplyDelete