Saturday, March 31, 2012

Reflection Essay #7 Well if the cape fits...

This week's discussions have been so interesting to talk about. I have never really seen any of the X-men besides the newer movies, but the reading has helped me understand so much about them. I believe that if I were a mutant like Storm that I would love being mutant. I wouldn't have any type of physical attributes that would make me look different in any way so it would be easy to fit in to society. Having a mutation like her's would definitely an awesome experience. On the other hand, if I had a mutation like Rogue's I would probably hate being mutant. I am a very personal person and love to give hugs and whatnot so to not be able to physical touch someone any more for the rest of my life would be heartbreaking. My dream is to work with children through psychology and if I weren't able to reach out to them, then there would be no point in my life anymore. Life could definitely go on without me. I'm not sure if I could say that these experiences are similar in any way other than the fact that I would be mutated. I would be ok with having a mutation if it were one that would let me get through life the way I wanted. But if it were to hinder relationships I have or prevent me from my dreams for the future then I wouldn't want the mutation anymore.
I think that there are similar experiences that happen to adolescents in high school. It is the roughest part of life trying to fit in with people you want to be like. My school was definitely "cliquey" and I unfortunately was in a lot of different groups. I was an academy kid, a dancer, and an orchestra player. It's hard knowing that you have these types of titles when all you want to do is go to school and be friends with everyone. I think the X-men help teenagers see past things that may be holding them back like a "band geek" or a "nerd" because there are specialties that come with having those talents. Those students will probably go to fancy colleges and get realy awesome paying jobs where are the "jocks" may end up leaving college with broken bones and can't do anything anymore. Everyone is different and to see that mutants are all different in themselves but still stick together is encouraging.
I think I identify most with Mystique, espeically from the movie First Class. When I was growing up, I was always looking for a special someone who would just like me for me. I had to watch all of my friends have boyfriends and dates to dances when I was all alone. I didn't even go to my senior prom. I thought there was something wrong with me and that's why no boy in my highschool liked me. I didn't know what to change or what to do to make someone notice me. I guess I finally found a Magneto because my boyfriend loves me for who I am and I can be myself around him even if it drives him crazy. He understands me and I can talk to him about anything. So no, I wouldn't want a cure. Like Mystique, I don't have to hide anything anymore.

2 comments:

  1. I like your take on Mystique. I didn't even think about her desire for finding someone special.

    ReplyDelete