Sunday, April 22, 2012

Refelctive Essay #10 HERO

I would first like to start off saying that I absolutely loved this book! I could not stop reading when I finally got to the last ten chapters. I thought the plot line and characters were fantastically portrayed and if only I had super healing powers.
Thom's Coach tells him he can't play on the basketball team anymore because of the comment that was made about him from the opposite team of Thom being gay. I think that that situation is totally unacceptable. Discrimination against someone's sexual orientation, especially a teenager, is the worst thing an adult can do to someone's self-esteem. If I were in Thom's position I definitely would had tried to go to the school principle and plead that this action was not fair. My family already deals with discrimation from school coaches with my brother. He is an awesome baseball player and his team even voted him as captain, but because the coach is so young and better "friends" with some of the other players because of the coach's younger siblings that attend the same highschool, my brother never got to play his junior or senior year of highschool in baseball. My parents did not take that situation lightly and phone calls were made. I was very disappointed as well. As an adult, you would think they would know better.
Ruth is trying to tell Thom not to wait anymore for a perfect fantasy life that will probably never happen. His fantasies about Uberman being madly in love with him or his dad breaking down his defensive wall and hugging him in public are personal issues that will probably never be solved. In that case, Thom needs to grasp reality and start living a life that makes him happy without thinking of all of the disappointments and getting his hopes up. When I first started college I was definitely looking for a certain someone to make me happy. In that case, I had a behavior that I was not proud of that I guess tried to compensate for my unhappiness. When I finally found my boyfriend I realized that all I had to do was be the real me and stop trying to pretend I was someone I wasn't and stop trying to make things happen instead of letting things happen on their own. That is how I am in control of my happiness because I know that everything happens for a reason.
I think a moment to feel exceptional happens to most people. I do feel that some people, when they don't get certain achievements in life, tend to give up instead of trying a new way of things or just waiting a little longer for that moment. Moments like that we can't make happen. It takes time until people really notice that you have achieved something great. I know from experience. I have been waiting a long time to finally become recognized by my dance studio at home because I have always been at every recital to help and have offered to choreograph dances and for a while I wasn't getting anything. It wasn't until this year that I made a dance for a couple girls that people fell in love with at their summer recital. I just thought to myself "FINALLY!". After that, they have been asking me to choreograph a lot more for them and it makes me feel very accomplished.
I think that the "first perfect kiss" is achievable but not until its with the right person. Everyone has to experience a first kiss and sometimes its awkward and sometimes its great but you can still have a "first kiss" with a new boyfriend/girlfriend. Like Thom, I have a really big crush on Mark Wahlberg. I don't know why I have this crush I just fell in love with him after watching the Italian Job. I think we have crushes like this because we know that if we lives in an alternate universe where anything and everything is possible, we would want to be with those famous people. And it's not that we want to be with them because they are famous, it's because the characters that they portray sometimes may make us believe we understand the type of person they are so we feel that we would be able to connect with them. That is probably how Thom feels about Uberman.

2 comments:

  1. I like your point about Thom needing to "grasp reality and start living a life that makes him happy without thinking of all of the disappointments and getting his hopes up." He's created this impossible fantasy in his mind that he'll never achieve. During the time that he spends wallowing over everything he doesn't have, he's missing out on everything he does (a father who loves him, a sport he's incredible at). I also think that Thom's fantasy life is a defense mechanism because he's afraid to get too attached to things in real life because they might disappear. (his mom or his relationship with Goran when he went through that time when he thought he was straight)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand where you are coming from with your brothers situation. It has never happened to me but I have seen it happen to many other individuals throughout my community. We coo-opp with another school for some high school sports, and a lot of kids never go out because they do not like the coaches from the other team or are afraid they will never play. A close encounter I had with this was when I was a freshman in high school. I came into my freshman year and I was the quarterback all throughout middle school. I was not going to go out because the freshman from our coo-opp school was pretty good friends with the head coaches. Vinnie finally talked me into going out and I can still never repay him to this day. I started over the other kid and played for all four years. It is also a small reason I chose to come to Monmouth College, if I would have never went out for football my life would be totally different and very hard to imagine at this point.

    ReplyDelete