Monday, February 13, 2012

Reflective Essay #3 My Powers Begin

                I have never learned so much about superheroes or known so much about them until now. I am amazed to finally know the real history about Superman and Batman, etc. Like novels and other literature, comics have so much more meaning built into them than most people would believe. Reading some of the articles from this week and even in Supergods, the comparison between Jesus and Superman is almost exactly the same. The both were sons of a higher power with “special” powers and were sent to Earth to help humanity. I never once thought about that connection before.
                I also never realized that all of the superheroes have a backstory that allows them to come to Earth or become created for a distinct reason to make them the good guy. Batman’s parents were killed, Spider-Man’s Uncle Ben was killed, Wonder Woman defends her lover. All have a specific reason as to why they are helping us and justify why they need to be our superheroes. Being a woman I would probably more closely relate to Wonder Woman because I would try to defend whoever I loved against anything that may harm them. And I can somewhat relate to Spider-Man because many people are taken away from us in different ways, and some not by the hand of man but illness too. To make sure that everyone was protected 24/7 is a difficult and what sounds like an impossible task. And as we have seen by some superheroes, it is. But it is what we would be fighting for that would make it worthwhile.
                As I sit here think about what type of superhero I would be, I think I would have to be a rechargeable superhero. I would always need caffeine in the morning to make sure that my superpowers would work for the day. My background motive would probably be the lack of self-confidence I had as a child. I would want everyone to be treated fairly. Bullying could possibly be one of my important missions because I was always picked on as a kid and now my little brother gets it too. Knowing that I would be able to stop the hurt and violence in schools would really make me feel better and hope that kids would be able to grow up in safer environments and be able to have the confidence that I never had.

No comments:

Post a Comment